Special features and maintenance
Introduces how to defrosting your chest freezer and includes information on freezer baskets and replacement of interior light.
Defrosting your chest freezer
- It is recommended that your freezer be defrosted when the frost is greater than 6 mm thick using the plastic scraper provided.
- Remove all frozen food and wrap it in several layers of paper. Place in a refrigerator compartment or a cool environment, eg insulated bin.
- Switch the power off at the wall.
- Unplug and open the defrost water drain and spout. Place a shallow container under the spout. Pour approximately 1 litre of warm water down the drain to clear it of possible residual ice. Should it remain blocked, the spout can be removed to aid thorough cleaning.
- While defrosting, leave the freezer lid open. If you wish to reduce the defrosting time, place containers of hot water in the freezer and close the lid. Use the plastic scraper supplied or a plastic spatula to remove any loose ice.
- Empty out the tray of water. Wipe out the defrosted freezer. Use a mix of 500 ml water with 1 teaspoon of baking soda or a small amount of liquid dishwashing detergent and warm water. Rinse with clean water and dry.
- Carefully clean the drain and spout. Replace the drain plug and then close the spout.
- Switch the freezer on. Close the lid and leave running for 15 minutes before replacing the frozen food.
- Do not use knives or any other sharp instrument to remove the ice as the freezer surface may become irreversibly damaged.
- Also do not use harsh abrasive cloths and cleaners, or highly perfumed strong smelling cleaners or solvents on either the interior or exterior of the freezer.
- Frost forms faster on the top edge of the freezer compartment in climates of high humidity as this is the area of first contact to the warm moist air when the lid is open.
- Your chest freezer is designed with a flexible lid seal to keep warm air out of the freezer. Sometimes immediately after closing your chest freezer, you may notice the lid is difficult to re-open. This is normal. Wait a few minutes and try again.
- The baskets supplied with your freezer are removable.
- They may be stacked on top of each other by folding the handles downwards. Ensure that packages do not protrude above the top of each basket, and for ease of lifting make sure they are not loaded with a lot of heavy food.
- We recommend that foods requiring longer storage should be kept at the bottom of the freezer.
Replacement of interior light
If it is necessary to replace the light bulb, turn the freezer off at the wall, remove the light cover and unscrew the bulb. Replace with a new bulb, noting that is must not exceed 15 Watts.
Your refrigerator is designed to operate for many years without the need for frequent
service checks. However, if your refrigerator is malfunctioning, have it attended to by your
Fisher & Paykel Authorised Repairer as soon as possible.
All electrical repairs must be carried out by an adequately trained service technician orqualified electrician.