Reducing the environmental impact
Reducing energy consumption will reduce the impact of cooking on the environment. The following tips can help you to reduce your energy consumption:
- Do not pre-heat the oven too early. Aim to have the oven hot at the same time as the foodis ready to be placed in it.
- Maximise the use of your pre-heated oven – cook or bake in batches.
- Minimise the number of times you open the oven door during cooking (to reduce heat loss).
- Cook multiple dishes at the same time.
- Use the residual heat in the oven to finish the cooking process (turn the oven off a few minutes before the cooking time is up).
- Use ceramic or glass cooking dishes which may reduce the cooking time or allow you to reduce the oven temperature.
- Use fan functions wherever possible. These functions may allow you to reduce cooking times and/or temperatures. Fan forced functions will allow you to bake on multiple shelves at the same time.
- Use a ‘Self clean’ function immediately after cooking when the oven is still warm, shortening the heat up period of the Self clean cycle.
- Replace oven seals if they become damaged. A damaged seal will decrease the efficiency of your oven.
- Cutting food into smaller pieces will reduce cooking time.
- Do not use the oven to defrost food.