Safety and warnings
Electric Shock Hazard
Read and follow the SAFETY AND WARNINGS outlined in this User Guide before operating this appliance.
Failure to do so can result in death, electric shock, fire or injury to persons.
|This refrigerator contains flammable refrigerant isobutane (R600a).|
Use this appliance only for the intended purpose as described in the User Guide.
Important safety instructions
When using this appliance always exercise basic safety precautions including the following:
- This appliance is not intended for use by persons (including children under the age of 8 years) with reduced physical, sensory or mental capabilities, or lack of experience and knowledge, unless they have been given supervision or instruction concerning use of the appliance by a person responsible for their safety.
- Young children should be supervised to ensure they do not play with the appliance.
- The manufacturer’s installation instructions for product and cabinetry ventilation must be followed when installing the appliance.
- To avoid hazard due to instability of the appliance, it must be fixed in accordance with installation instructions.
- Keep ventilation openings, in the appliance enclosure or in the built-in structure, clear of obstruction.
- Do not use mechanical devices or other means to accelerate the defrosting process
- Do not damage the refrigerant circuit.
- In case of damage to the refrigerant circuit, ventilate the area by opening all windows. Do not operate electrical equipment or any other equipment that may produce arcs, sparks or flames in the area. Contact your Fisher & Paykel Authorised Repairer immediately to arrange for the appliance to be repaired.
- It is hazardous for anyone other than an authorised service person to service this appliance. In Queensland the authorised service person must hold a gas work licence or authorisation for hydrocarbon refrigerants to carry our service or repairs which involve removal of covers.
- This appliance must be installed in accordance with the installation instructions before use.
- To allow disconnection of the appliance from the supply after installation, incorporate a switch in the fixed wiring in accordance with the wiring rules.
- Never unplug your refrigerator by pulling on the power cord. Always grip the plug firmly and pull straight out from the outlet.
- Do not plug in any other appliance at the same power point as your refrigerator or use extension cords or double adapters.
- Repair or replace immediately all electric service cords that have become frayed or otherwise damaged. Do not use a cord that shows cracks or abrasion along its length or at either the plug or appliance end.
- If the power supply cord is damaged, it must only be replaced by your Fisher & Paykel Authorised Repairer because special purpose tools are required.
- When moving your appliance away from the wall, be careful not to roll over or damage the power cord.
- Do not use electrical appliances inside the food storage compartments of the appliance.
Your refrigerator is designed to operate for many years without the need for service checks. However, if your refrigerator is malfunctioning, have it attended to by your Fisher & Paykel Authorised Repairer as soon as possible. All electrical repairs must be carried out by an adequately trained service technician or qualified electrician.
- Many commercially available cleaning products contain solvents that may attack the plastic components of your refrigerator and cause them to crack.
- Avoid using anti-bacterial cleaning products on either the interior or exterior of the cabinet as they may cause rusting of metal components and cracking of plastic components.
- Please refer to the ‘ActiveSmart™ - cleaning care’ or ‘Cyclic and Compact - cleaning care’ section of this user guide for further information.
- Extreme care must be taken when disposing of your old appliance to avoid hazards:
- The flammable refrigerant gas must be safely removed.
- The thermal insulation foam in this appliance contains flammable insulation blowing gases, any exposed foam may be highly flammable and must be carefully treated during disposal.
- The doors and panels should be removed and the shelves left in place so that children may not easily climb inside.
- Your Fisher & Paykel Authorised Repairer will be able to give advice on environmentally friendly methods of disposing of your old refrigerator or freezer.
Storing food and drinks
- Do not store explosive substances such as aerosol cans with a flammable propellant in this appliance.
- Never store volatile or flammable materials in your refrigerator as they may explode.
- Never freeze liquids in glass containers. Liquid expands during freezing, which may cause the container to explode.
- Never freeze carbonated drinks. They may explode.
- Do not consume food if it is too cold. Food removed from the freezer compartment may be cold enough to cause damage when brought into contact with bare skin, eg frozen ice cubes.
Power failure – food safety
- Do not refreeze frozen foods that have thawed completely. The food may be dangerous to eat. Follow the recommendations below if you discover food in your freezer has thawed:
- Ice crystals still visible – food may be refrozen but should be stored for a shorter period than recommended.
- Thawed but refrigerator cold – refreezing generally not recommended. Fruits and some cooked food can be refrozen but use as soon as possible. Meat, fish, poultry – use immediately or cook then refreeze. Vegetables – discard as they usually go limp and soggy.
- Thawed and warmer than 5°C – discard all food.