- Never leave the cooktop unattended when in use. Boilover causes smoking and greasy spills that may ignite.
- Take care when deep-frying: oil or fat can overheat very quickly, particularly on a high setting.
- Using a lid will reduce cooking times through retaining the heat.
- Minimise the amount of liquid to reduce cooking times.
- Use saucepans with thick flat bases.
- Do not let large saucepans or frying pans overlap the bench, as this can deflect heat onto your benchtop and damage its surface.
- Always make sure saucepans are stable by centring them over the burner.
- Make sure the size of the pan matches the size of the burner. A small pot on a large burner is not efficient.The following table shows the minimum and maximum saucepan base diameters that may be used on each burner: